I was working with a large construction company this week, you’ll see their name all over UK and Europe - massive government projects. They had some work placement last year for 15 year olds. One 15 year old was working with a project manager learning some of the planning tools. The process was software based. It took the 15 year old to point out that on the market there were software tools that would skip several stages of the project planning process and produce the results in less than half the time. The 15 years old’s advice was implemented company wide and the software replaced.
We can all use computers. But for growing your SME it’s all about using the right hardware and software in the right way. I have met a billion people who can use WORD. I have met very few who know how to set up reports with appropriate paragraph spacing to give a unified look across the document. Most just hit the ‘new line’ key to make spaces. Silly point? Not when you are putting a large bid document together and the client is picky. In my own business, I have had to train others who apparently are IT savvy to use the basics of WORD in the right way. Let alone more complex software.
Your company could be wasting a lot of time and money on inappropriate use of software. It’s not having computers that’s the challenge, its using them to the best. It might be naming files so they can be easily found and retrieved by others (how much of your data is truly shareable in the business, and how much is stored away with its file-location and file-naming only really understood by the author?). It might be having a thoroughly reliable backup policy understood by all. It might be using the software in the way it was designed to be used.
To develop our SME business, understanding what hardware and software and how it is to be used is essential. “Digital transformation” is the process of adapting or overhauling current business processes to incorporate digital strategies and technology. It’s the only way forward for SMEs that are going to grow otherwise they will get overwhelmed by the competition. Your I.T. strategy will need to take this into account.
So, what we are saying is, if we are planning SME company growth, don’t forget I.T. Get people in who can help with this. The 15 year old I mention above comes highly recommended.
At Stratagem&Co, we believe that being able to quickly assess and evaluate the 'health' of your business is a key component to you achieving and sustaining your growth. That's why we've created high quality business health check tools to help you to receive the expert advice you need to achieve your business goals in an affordable and easily accesible way.
How does it work
When you sign-up for a Stratagem Business Health-check you will receive:
- A web link to a detailed online quf estionnaire -written by a member our panel osubject matter experts.
- Once you have completed the questionnaire, you will instantly receive an overall 'health-score' for the questionnaire that you have completed.
- Shortly afterwards, based on the answers you have in the questionnaire, you will receive a detailed and far-ranging report, again, written by one of our industry experts, that will help you to diagnose the issues that you have in your business and provide you with advice and links to additional resources to help you resolve the challenges that you are facing.
- Within 48 hours of completing the questionnaire, you will receive a call from a Stratagem&Co Partner to arrange your follow-up Health-check Consultation.
- During the Consultation you will be able to discuss and explore any issues that have arisen in the report and address any questions that you may have.
- If any follow-up actions are identified, your Stratagem&Co Partner will then work with you on an individual basis to help you to resolve any further issues that you may have and develop bespoke solutions for you that closely fit your business needs and resolve your challenges.
However we support you, the focus for us is to help you to identify and resolve the blockers that are stopping you from getting you to where you want to go – then it’s our promise to deliver a bespoke solution that fits around you and your organisation to drive your business growth.
To discuss the topics raised in Mark's blog, or to ask any questions, please complete the form below and leave your comments.